- This event has passed.
Experimental Reduction Prints in Color with Maria Frati
March 18 - March 19$340
TIME: 10:00am to 4:00pm each day with a 1/2 hour lunch break.
This 2 day printmaking class will be taught by Guest Printmaker & Educator Maria Frati. To learn about Maria and her printmaking please scroll to the Bio at the bottom of this listing.
Explore traditional and experimental printmaking techniques to create big, bold, dynamic, colorful prints! In this class you will be encouraged to play, experiment and push the boundaries of what a reduction print can be. Reduction printmaking is easy enough for a beginner or experienced printmaker to take their skill set to a new level. Picasso popularized this technique and used it cleverly in may of his linoleum blocks between 1958 and 1963.
Reduction linoleum prints are created working from light to dark. At each step, portions of the image are carved away. As this process continues, a rich multi-colored print emerges – but there is no back stepping! This form of printmaking is sometimes referred to as making a “suicide print”!
- We will work with linoleum blocks (18×18 inches) to explore unique layering and texture combinations.
- Finished prints will be approximately 15×22 inches or 22×30 inches.
- Artists will learn how to plan, safely carve, and print their linoleum blocks to achieve a finished set or a small edition of prints.
- Registration techniques, so necessary to keeping your prints looking crisp will be covered.
- Artists will work with safer soy based inks in our professional print studio.
Materials needed for this innovative workshop are mostly covered by the included materials fee. A short additional student supply list will be emailed to you after you sign up. Some paper will be provided and additional paper can be purchased at the studio.
All levels of learners are welcome! Class limited to 10 students.
Class held at Asheville Print Studio: Riverview Station – Studio #108, 191 Lyman Street, River Arts District, Asheville, NC
Class Fee: $300.00 Materials Fee: $40.00 TOTAL COST: $340.00